Batheaston Parish Council
Elected every four years to serve the Community of Batheaston
Here you will find information about your Councillors and some of the changes that have been achieved in our village since May 2015 when this Council was first elected.
Secondary elections and co-options have taken place since May 2015 to replace members who have left the Council
Structure of the Council
The Full Council meet on the second Tuesday of each month and are responsible for all decisions made by the Council and recorded in the Minutes.
Certain powers are delegated to Standing Committees who meet as required to a published timetable. All Committee decisions have to be ratified at the following Full Council.
Agendas for each meeting are published in advance in accordance with Standing Orders. Minutes are generally published within a few days on this website but will not be binding until formally adopted at the next Full Council Meeting.
Strategic Planning Committee - SPC - are responsible for preparing policy and financial recommendations and for intereactions with external agencies on matters not covered by HFE or PRC.
Highways Footpaths and Environment Committee - HFE - are responsible for traffic, day to day maintenance matters and liaison with Bath&nes particularly on Highways and Environmental issues.
Planning and Recreation Committee - PRC - deal with all planning applications made by residents and pass recommendations to planning officers who then make the actual decisions under delegated authority from Bath&nes. PRC also look after play and sports facilities around the village.
Working Parties, which may include non-council members are established from time to time for specific projects and also operate within the terms of Standing Orders.
Neighbourhood Planning - NP - is such a Working Party with members also indicated
Introduction and Aims
Batheaston Parish Council represents the first tier of local government for our community. Elections for Councillors are held every four years. The Council is supported by a part-time paid Clerk to the Council.
Your Councillors are unpaid and are committed to enhancing the quality of life for residents and to promoting Batheaston as a pleasant place to live and work.
The aims of your Parish Council include –
- To help create a socially inclusive and caring community which embraces all residents regardless of age, gender, race or religion and seek to promote mutual co-operation.
- To represent the local community in a fair, balanced and informed manner to improve the quality of life for everyone living and working in the Parish and ensure community well-being and sustainability.
- To be transparent and informative on village matters and communicate well with residents and understand their needs and provide a representative voice for the Parish when working with adjacent authorities and external agencies.
- To manage the Parish Council’s assets and finances in an open, effective and efficient manner to achieve best value for all residents.
- To maintain and improve amenities, including leisure and play facilities, to a high standard to meet the needs of the community.
- To preserve the heritage and rural environment of the Parish and where appropriate to seek enhancement.
- To encourage participation by all in activities beneficial to the community, especially with regard to the natural environment, inclusivity and social responsibility.